Advert Location: Warsaw
Contract duration: After 3 probe months contract is signed for 9 months.
Deadline for application: 8th February 2012
Please send your CV and motivation letter in Polish to: email@example.com
About the role
Amnesty International (AI) is a worldwide organization working to end human rights violations. As a MSP Campaigner, working on campaigns for Arms Trade Treaty and Security with Human Rights (formerly called Stop Torture and Counter Terror with Justice) you will;
- provide and implement strategy of those campaigns in Polish section.
- monitor the political and legal situation in Poland and in selected countries.
- provide authoritative legal and policy thematic materials to the specialists and activists in Amnesty International Poland
- promote section-s work on campaigns in public and in the international movement.
- carry out advocacy work.
You will also respond to emerging human rights issues in relation to the above themes.
You will have specialist extensive knowledge of armed conflicts and influence of uncontrolled arms trade regarding human rights violations as well as of so called -war on terror- and its consequences for human rights situation. You will also have professional experience in human rights; working knowledge of international law relevant to security, arms trade and ban of torture; policy & campaign development experience; good interpersonal skills; project management and organizational skills; excellent communication skills. You will have experience of planning, organizing and prioritizing work under pressure and to deadlines.
Amnesty International is a worldwide movement of people standing up for human rights. We are independent and impartial and our campaigning is based on accurate and timely research. Our network extends to more than two million members and subscribers in more than 150 countries around the world. Each one of us is outraged by human rights abuses but inspired by hope for a better world – and together we work to improve human rights through campaigning and international solidarity. Amnesty International Poland is social movement, officially established in 1990 and since then actively contributes to building strong civil society and culture of human rights in Poland. It aims to raise awareness about human rights violation all over the world and to mobilize people in Poland on behalf of international solidarity and for effective defense of human rights.
JOB PURPOSE: lead two strategic campaigns: Campaigning for Arms Trade Treaty and Security with Human Rights, develop Amnesty International-s policy positions, and carry out advocacy work.
Reporting to: Director of Polish Section
The post has no line management responsibilities but may involve the supervision of volunteers and interns.
In particular the post will cooperate day to day with the International Secretariat (London), European Institution Office (Brussels) and others sections and structures of AI.
Provide expert legal, policy and thematic advice on human rights violation connected with arms trade and security and related issues to Amnesty International staff, including by preparing and approving materials, to ensure accuracy and the integration of these issues into relevant Amnesty International work, and consistent and coordinated implementation of these policies and strategies.
Develop Amnesty International Poland campaign strategy, standards and guidelines in relation to arms trade and security issues to enable Polish section and international movement to call for effective protection of human rights in that context.
Represent Amnesty International at relevant meetings, regularly reporting back to the Director of the section and develop media contacts and otherwise act as an Amnesty International expert spokesperson on these issues to raise public awareness of Amnesty International and its calls for action, build support for concrete recommendations for change, and position Amnesty International at the forefront of the human rights movement. Conduct meetings with state officials and other relevant interlocutors on the issues related to the strategic campaigns. Contribute to the development and implementation of a comprehensive training and development program for staff and activists in Amnesty International Poland.
What does success look like in this job-
- Campaign strategy and materials are timely, succinct, and accurate.
- Reports and other documents are carefully researched, compellingly written, and delivered on schedule.
- Strategic opportunities for policy development, research, lobbying, and public actions are taken and are created.
- Other Amnesty International staff & activists as well as the staff of other Non-Governmental Organizations turn to the post-holder for his or her recognized expertise.
Skills & Experience
- Proven extensive knowledge of human rights standards
- Specialist legal qualifications in international human rights law.
- Professional experience in human rights or related field – professional experience working on security and arms trade issues strongly desirable.
- Excellent organizational and motivating skills.
- Experience in policy and campaign development.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent advisory and communication skills.
- Excellent team skills.
- Good external representational skills.
Terms and Conditions
Salary: comparable to average salary in Polish NGOs for similar post
Hours: 40 hours per week
The job is available as soon as possible after the recruitment.
Contract duration: 3 probe months – then 9 month contract
Office hours: 09.00 – 17.00 (other time by arrangement)Podoba Ci się to co robimy? Nasze działania są możliwe dzięki regularnym darowiznom od osób prywatnych. Włącz się! Możesz zmienić lub uratować ludzkie życie!