Policy & Campaign Manager (Head of Programme Unit)
Advert Location: Warsaw
Contract duration: After 3 probe months contract is permanent
Deadline for application: 17th Jaunary 2011
Please send your CV and motivation letter in Polish to: email@example.com
Amnesty International is looking for a Policy and Campaign Manager to focus on the strategic development and operational delivery of its human rights objectives through campaigns, advocacy and human rights education. The main campaigns run by Amnesty International Poland are: Demand Dignity, Counter Terror with Justice (Security and Human Rights), Fight Discrimination and Refugees and Migrants Rights.
About the role
Providing strategic direction, operational leadership, research and policy development, legal advice and multi-disciplinary coordination across different stakeholders inside and outside the organization will be central. You will direct the implementation of the campaigns strategy, including setting priorities, managing the day-to-day work of a dedicated policy team and ensuring a high quality of all outputs.
You will also take a lead in developing two out of four main campaigns and ensuring effective participation of other teams in the office (especially media and fundraising) as well as of activists and volunteers of Amnesty International Poland.
You will have a proven track record in developing campaign strategies, as well as an excellent understanding of strategic campaign methodologies and power analysis. An experienced project manager, you will be used to dealing with a number of stakeholders in Poland.
As well as experience of managing people, including at a distance, excellent analytical skills, interpersonal, communication and organisational skills are essential. You will have experience of planning, organizing and prioritising work under pressure and to deadlines and an understanding of undertaking legal research or policy analysis on issues related to national and international law is also important.
Amnesty International is a worldwide movement of people standing up for human rights. We are independent and impartial and our campaigning is based on accurate and timely research. Our network extends to more than two million members and subscribers in more than 150 countries around the world. Each one of us is outraged by human rights abuses but inspired by hope for a better world – and together we work to improve human rights through campaigning and international solidarity. Amnesty International Poland is social movement, officially established in 1990 and since then actively contributes to building strong civil society and culture of human rights in Poland. It aims to raise awareness about human rights violation all over the world and to mobiles people in Poland on behalf of international solidarity and for effective defense of human rights.
JOB PURPOSE: Provide strategic direction, operational leadership, research and policy development, legal advice and multi-disciplinary coordination across different stakeholders inside and outside the organization.
PROGRAMME UNIT PURPOSE: To provide leadership in the areas of campaigns and human rights education as well as effective implementation of the law and the development and application of human rights policy. To provide human rights content to other departments in the office and the movement to maximizing impact of our work. Ensure that Amnesty International Poland maintains its pre-eminent position in the field of human rights policy analysis, campaigns and human rights education.
Reporting to: Director
Posts that this job manages: Policy and programme team of 4-5 staff, including campaign, human rights education and activism staff and volunteers as necessary
Other key relationships: Fundraising Manager, Office Manager, Media Officer, PR Officer.
In particular the post will cooperate day to day with the International Secretariat (London), European Institution Office (Brussels) and others sections and structures of AI.
USEFUL INFORMATION: This Policy and Campaign Manager post focuses on strategic development and operational delivery of Amnesty International-s two campaigns, hence wide knowledge of interconnection of human rights and poverty that is clue of Demand Dignity campaign as well as knowledge of preventing discrimination and/or refugee and migrants rights is necessary. During the first year in post, the strong focus will be on advocacy work because of Polish Presidency in EU, so knowledge and experience with stakeholders in EU and Poland as well as Council of Europe is highly desirable.
- Develop and promote a campaign strategy with a clear vision and direction to inspire active participation from the Amnesty International movement and external supporters in Poland
- Direct the implementation of the campaign strategy, including setting priorities, managing the day to day work of a dedicated team and ensuring a high quality of all campaign outputs
- In collaboration with the Director and Policy and Programme team to lead on legal advice and policy development relating to key campaigns and human rights education in order to ensure that policy work outputs reflect consistent and high-quality analysis
- Recruit, induct, motivate and supervise policy and programme staff
- Successful delivery of Amnesty International Poland commitments under Amnesty International-s Integrated Strategic Plan and the relevant European and global operational plans;
- Maintain excellent relations and strategic coherence with other managers in the Amnesty International Poland Office and the relevant staff in International Secretariat and European Institution Office as well as with partner organizations, and with Polish state officials.
- Lead the development and implementation of a strong movement-wide and external communications strategy to promote the campaigns.
- Supervise the translation and production of final media and promoting materials on the subject area of led campaigns.
- Respond to media inquiries and participate in interviews, including TV, on the subject area of led campaigns with support of the Press Officer, as mandated by the Director.
- Lead the development of effective partnerships with other international and local NGOs and social movements to engage the support of external actors for organization.
- Establish effective systems to assess the impact of the campaign and support evaluation, reporting regularly to the movement.
- Undertake public representation responsibilities on behalf of Amnesty International Poland as needed and agreed with Directors.
Skills & Experience
1. Substantial experience developing campaign strategies at national levels; excellent understanding of strategic campaign methodologies, power analysis and other campaign development tools.
2. Substantial experience of undertaking legal research or policy analysis.
3. Understanding and experience of project management, preparing operational plans, with a clearly set milestones and achievable targets, involving various stakeholders in the centralized hub and across various regions of the world.
4. Understanding and experience of managing staff and budgets.
5. Ability to communicate concisely inside the organization as well as at high level external meetings and campaign occasions.
6. Deep understanding of the activist mobilization methods, tools and techniques, both online and offline, across different parts of the country.
7. Understanding and experience of complex partnership management involving multi-layered stakeholders coming from different parts of the society, including NGOs and social movements.
8. Understanding and experiences of monitoring of implementation, campaign evaluation, impact assessment and learning.
9. Strong capacity for strategic thinking.
10. Excellent public speaking, writing and editing skills in Polish Fluency in English is basic.
11. Excellent political judgement skills in politically complex analyses and situations.
12. Understanding of activism and voluntary commitment and of organizational needs of a membership organisation and the implications of this for developing and implementing campaigns.
Terms and Conditions Salary: comparable to average salary in Polish NGOs for similar post
Hours: 40 hours per week
Contract duration: 3 probe months – then permanent contract Office hours: 09.00 – 17.00 (other time by arrangement)
Health and Safety: All staff are required to comply with Amnesty International’s policy and rules relating to Health and Safety and its security regulations at work. Equality Statement Equality and diversity is at the core of our values and staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected. Conflict of Interest Public or other activity, affiliation to or support for any group or organization, personal association or other factor which may generate a real or perceived conflict of interest with Amnesty International-s principles (specifically independence and impartiality), or raise a security concern, or otherwise prevent the candidate from carrying out key functions of the specific post and would therefore disqualify the candidate from being appointed.Podoba Ci się to co robimy? Nasze działania są możliwe dzięki regularnym darowiznom od osób prywatnych. Włącz się! Możesz zmienić lub uratować ludzkie życie!